This award has been set up by endowment from the estate of Floride Smith Dean to be used for Piano Scholarships in the Student Division in the Georgia Federated Music Clubs. Floride Smith Dean also endowed monies for piano scholarships to the NFMC, as well as Converse College, Anderson College and Federated Music Club all of which are in South Carolina.
Award Amount: $2,000
- Must be 19 years old but not 26 years old by the application deadline.
- Must be an American Citizen.
- Must be a member of National Federation of Music Club (NFMC), either through Student Club or by individual membership*
- *IMPORTANT: If applicant needs to join NFMC as an individual member, send a check of $16, made payable to “GFMC” along with the NFMC application (available through www.nfmc-music.org) before its deadline to State Treasurer:
Rebekah Boles,1151 Jimmy Daniel Road, Watkinsville, GA 30677.
- Must not have won the Floride Dean Award previously.
Repertoire and Audition Requirements:
- Repertoire is limited to two pieces of published work:
- One piece of work or a movement of a significant work by an American composer
- One piece of work or a movement from the baroque, classical or romantic period.
- Audition is by online video format.
Application and Video Submission Deadlines:
- Receipt Deadline: April 11
- Mail the application form with the $25 check payable to “GFMC” to:
Margaret Liu, Competitions and Awards Division Chair
6000 Medlock Bridge Parkway, Suite E-900
Johns Creek, GA 30022
- A Contestant ID number will be assigned and emailed to applicant after the application form and fee receipt deadline.
- Do not send video until you receive your Contestant ID number.
- Video Submission
- Receipt Deadline: May 1
- Via the Video Submission Google Form link which will be emailed to applicant after the application deadline.
- Videos will be accepted ONLY by the Google Form link. DO NOT send URL by email.
LATE application and video submission will NOT be accepted.
Video Submission Guidelines:
- The video should be titled “Floride Dean, Contestant ID Number”. No applicant’s name or teacher’s name should be shown in the video title or the background of the video.
- Be sure to check the video. If it is inaccessible, the application will be deemed disqualified, and application fee forfeited.
- Follow the steps to create a YouTube video link on a computer (see below).
To Create the YouTube Video:
- You may record the video of the two pieces separately or together, but you MUST submit the recordings of BOTH pieces in the order on your application form in ONE VIDEO.
- Each piece must be recorded from start to end without pause. No editing is allowed.
- Video should be uploaded to YouTube on a computer.
- In your browser, go to www.youtube.com
- Sign in (upper right corner of page)
- You will need to have a Google (Gmail) account. If not, select the option to create an account
- When uploading your performance video to YouTube, select the option of UNLISTED (not private!).
- This video SHOULD NOT be searchable or publicly available.
- Rename the video to show: “Floride Dean, Contestant ID Number” on the title.
To Submit the Video:
- After the YouTube video is created, click the SHARE option and copy/paste the shortened URL to the blank provided on the Video Submission Google Form.
- The Video Submission Google Form link should have been emailed to you along with the Contestant ID number.
- Complete the Google Form (all fields are required).
- Click “Submit” at the bottom of the form.
For further information or questions, you may contact Competitions and Awards Division Chair, Margaret Liu
Phone: (678) 523-6703, or